Seven delicious street foods in Trinidad & Tobago

The population mix in Trinidad & Tobago is fascinating with a large East Indian population, a large population of black Trinis, and a smattering of other races including Caucasians, Chinese, and Syrians to just name a few.  With such an interesting mix of people, you are bound to have a variety of food. Seven delicious street foods are easily found.

Seven delicious street foods corn soup

Seven delicious street foods – I am not the only one who loves corn soup

Street food in Trinidad & Tobago is amazing

Street food in Trinidad & Tobago is some of the best I have found.  Each population group has its thumb print on the Trinidad & Tobago menu. Trinidad & Tobago is a tropical island, so it comes as no surprise that seafood and tropical fruit would also make an appearance on the list.

Corn soup stand Trinidad & Tobago

Seven delicious street foods – You never forget your first corn soup stand

Seven delicious street foods in Trinidad & Tobago

7. Corn Soup

The first dish I had in Trinidad was a lunch of corn soup. We arrived at Chaguaramas National Park the day before Carnival and the usual street vendors were nowhere to be found. Just a small little stand selling corn soup in a little Styrofoam cup. This is a watery course with chunks of potatoes and little corn cobs bobbing in a green liquid with some spicy peppers. This would not be my last run in with corn soup as it was provided for our Chocolate City J’Ouvert meal the very next day. I love corn soup.

6. Gyros

There is a small Syrian population in Trinidad & Tobago and they run a series of street food shops along the main drag in the Woodbrook neighborhood on Ariapita Avenue. I have never had such amazing gyros before. For about five or seven dollars, you will get a tight, tasty wrap of awesomeness. I will never forget the tongs grabbing a generous portion of lamb meat dripping with juice and laying it on the bread. Then they covered it with sauce and other extras before dripping some spicy pepper sauce. Watch out they do not over do it with the pepper sauce or you will be gasping for water.

Coconut in Trinidad & Tobago

Seven delicious street foods – Opening up the coconut in Trinidad & Tobago

Trinidad & Tobago coconut

Seven delicious street foods – Enjoying some delicious coconut water in Trinidad & Tobago

5. Coconut with jelly

There is something about buying food on the street that needs to be opened by a machete. Coconut vendors can be found all over. Just look for a lady near a pick up with a machete. First, they will open a notch in the coconut and give you a straw to sip up the coconut water. Tip, coconut water mixes well with the local rum. After consuming the liquid, they will smash open the fruit and cut a little notch, so you can scrape up the jelly.

Saheena Trinidad & Tobago

Seven delicious street foods – Mouth watering saheena in Trinidad & Tobago

Saheena Trinidad & Tobago

Seven delicious street foods – Friendly saheena and doubles stand in Debe

4. Saheena

Saheena is like doubles (see number one) as it is like a mini burrito filled with delicious local ingredients enclosed with a battered wrap and deep fried. The filling consists of lots of chopped spinach and stirred in a split pea flour base and then fried. Lots of spices and peppers go into the filling as well including cumin, minced garlic, curry powder, and onions. The product is filling and delicious.

3. Roti

I have a roti confession to make. I actually did not try one in Trinidad & Tobago. Roti is a tasty flat bread served with meats and vegetables. In my defense, I did have the buss-up-shut, which is roti in little pieces that supposedly resembles a busted up shirt. You can dip your bust-up-shut in your  curry sauce or use it as a wrap and fold it over meat and vegetables. Typical ingredients consist of dhal, spinach, chickpeas, mango chutney, and of course pepper salsa.

Bake and shark Trinidad & Tobago

Seven delicious street foods – Enjoying a bake and shark at Maracas Beach in Trinidad & Tobago

Bake and Shark Maracas Beach Trinidad & Tobago

Seven delicious street foods – Loving all my fixing on my bake and shark and the carib beer is pretty good too

2. Bake and Shark

This is a fried shark sandwich served with your choice of fixings. At Maracas Beach, they have Bake and Shark stands including the extremely popular joint called Richard’s. They have a buffet of fixings for your sandwich including a variety of sauces and tomatoes, lettuce, and onions. The sandwich is incredibly flaky and a must have when visiting the beach or anywhere else. They also serve this nightly at the Savanna in downtown Port of Spain.

Doubles Trinidad & Tobago

Seven delicious street foods – Grand master doubles maker in Trinidad & Tobago

1. Doubles

This Trinidad favorite is quite like saheena in that it is a little ball of flavor. They have doubles makers on the street who work their craft, as Hardee Karges points out in his book Hypertravel, like a DJ. They make a double in like ten seconds dancing around spreading their delicious sauce on a baked bread like a rapper manipulating a worn record.  The ingredients are similar to roti, but instead rolled up in a ball. When you find a good one, you might have to wait in line for 15-20 minutes as they draw a crowd and people will order 4 or 5 at a time.

After writing this post and researching the ingredients online, I am ready to return and enjoy more of the seven delicious street foods from Trinidad & Tobago.

Read more from my adventure in Trinidad & Tobago

Beautiful women of Trinidad & Tobago photo essay

Asa Wright is the heart of Trinidad & Tobago

Asa Wright Nature Center proves Trinidad is the land of the hummingbird

Asa Wright clear water pool in Trinidad & Tobago

Caroni Swamp is a mini Everglades in Trinidad & Tobago

Caroni Swamp is home to the scarlet ibis, the national bird of Trinidad

Boogie board and bake and shark at Maracas Beach in Trinidad

J’Ouvert with Chocolate City opens Trinidad & Tobago Carnival

Adventure on!

56 Responses to Seven delicious street foods in Trinidad & Tobago

1. Michael April 5, 2012 at 12:09 pm #

Wow, some feast you’ve had there. Making me hungry.

2. Leslie April 7, 2012 at 10:39 pm #

Trinidad and Tobago sure has some interesting street food! Are you hoping that shark sandwiches become popular in Chicago? 🙂
    Leslie recently posted..Friday Photos: Colorful spring flowers in New York City

3. Sherry Ann Marcano April 15, 2012 at 6:43 pm #

happy u enjoyed your visit to our twin isle republic, please come again .

• travelingted April 17, 2012 at 5:37 am #

Thanks Sherry,

I had a great time and ate so well as you can see.

4. Charmella April 18, 2012 at 2:00 am #

Ohhhhhhhhhh…you’ve made me homesick! That is everything that I had while I was there for Christmas. Glad that you had a wonderful time.

• travelingted April 18, 2012 at 2:08 am #

After eating delicious food for a week in Trinidad & Tobago, I am missing the cuisine too not to mention everything else.

• Annaly Maharaj March 21, 2014 at 2:51 am #

You should come again, there is a lot more food for your tastebuds to explore as well as everything else.

• Ted Nelson March 22, 2014 at 5:46 pm #

Thanks Annaly, I will definitely be back for more food and adventure.

• Annaly Maharaj April 24, 2014 at 8:19 pm #

There is a place called the Nariva Swamp. Very interesting place, you can see manatees there as well as blue and gold macaws.

• Ted Nelson May 3, 2014 at 12:25 pm #

I really wanted to see Nariva when I was there two years ago, but we did not have the time. That would be the first place I would want to see after eating great food again of course.

• Cat March 22, 2014 at 4:15 am #

That missing anything about Trinidad and Tobago: the food, Carnival, beaches, the people et al, is what we call “tabanca”….a longing for

• Ted Nelson March 22, 2014 at 5:46 pm #

I definitely long for Trinidad & Tobago. I can’t wait to come back.

5. BarbaraL October 11, 2012 at 3:26 am #

When I was in T&T on the street they sold these paper cones filled with some kind of dough balls that were dipped in I think it was hot green mango dipping sauce. Do you know of this food? I am trying to find how to make it for 20 years now, the flavor has haunted me. It was kinda like a chick pea fritter small ball bathed in this yummy sauce.

• travelingted October 11, 2012 at 5:17 pm #

Hi Barbara,

I think what you are talking about is pholourie. Check this link out: http://www.trinigourmet.com/index.php/pholourie-recipe/

• Lisa March 21, 2014 at 2:57 am #

Sounds like you’re talking about pholorie

Lisa recently posted..Jan 12, Five Strange Facts About Everyday Foods

• Ted Nelson March 22, 2014 at 5:47 pm #

I enjoyed pholorie too. So many delicious food items, so little time 🙂

• Amin Khan May 19, 2015 at 6:04 pm #

I just came upon your question hope this reply reaches you. It’s called polouri. Polouri mix can be found in Associated and Key food Supermarkets that carry W.I. products in Brooklyn NY.

• BarbaraL May 19, 2015 at 6:32 pm #

Wow, thanx. I am in North Central FL and will check at the local Bravo supermarket which sells island foods and south american cuban etc. foods. If you know the name of the company that boxes the mix, that could be helpful as none of these people who work there at Bravo speak very good English.

• Joanne June 7, 2016 at 9:54 am #

Its called phoulorie pronounced (pull- lorry). It’s an Indian delicacie.

• BarbaraL June 7, 2016 at 12:32 pm #

i am amazed how many years this post has been active, and happy to get reminded of this again … i totally forgot about it bec i no longer eat fried foods … yum though a lovely piece of the carribbean brings back lots of vacation memories.

• Traveling Ted June 7, 2016 at 12:42 pm #

You and me both Barbara. Every year or so it goes on a crazy Facebook run and is shared all over again. I just did a Google analytics check and this post has been viewed over 22,000 times – By far the most heavily viewed post of over 1,000 that I have written here. The next closest post on my website is a post on traveling to Guyana at 18,000 then a post on a summer music festival in Illinois at 9,000. It goes to show that people in T&T are very passionate about their food.

• BarbaraL June 7, 2016 at 12:50 pm #

love it, the amazing process of the internet is so delightful, albeit a double edge sword to drive us crazy at time. Thanx for the camaraderie!

• Traveling Ted June 7, 2016 at 1:54 pm #

Thanks for following along on the thread 🙂

6. Raul (@ilivetotravel) November 7, 2013 at 1:09 am #

I grew in the Caribbean and I hate coconuts! Nuts! Now bake n shark? Awesome!
    Raul (@ilivetotravel) recently posted..Fried Chicken Worth the Pot-hole in Atlanta

7. Trish March 20, 2014 at 9:27 am #

Good article, made me smile. Did you try Souse Ted?

• Ted Nelson March 20, 2014 at 3:30 pm #

I did not try souse. I now have a new item to eat next time I come. Thanks for the suggestion.

• D-Trini March 20, 2014 at 9:35 pm #

Ted, you need to come back and try curry cascadoo. A fav with many trinis but seldom introduced to visitors

• kay March 21, 2014 at 4:29 am #

Souse, also black pudding, polourie, salt nuts, aloo pie. This should be your next 5 street foods followed by regular food: curry crab and dumpling, callaloo, oil down, pelau, macaroni pie, stew chicken… There’s a lot of eating still to be done!

• Nerisha March 21, 2014 at 3:45 pm #

you’re forgetting Curry Duck! lol…..

• Ted Nelson March 22, 2014 at 5:48 pm #

I am glad it made you smile Trish. I did not try souse. I am glad so many people added items in the comment section. I now have an online list for my next visit.

8. Séliné March 20, 2014 at 7:40 pm #

Yayyy!!! I currently live in Trinidad though I don’t like much of these stuff o.o :3 I always wanted to travel around! I’ve not been to much places 🙁

• Ted Nelson March 22, 2014 at 5:49 pm #

Seeing more of your home country is a good start Séliné. Have you been to Asa Wright or Caroni Swamp.

• Séliné March 22, 2014 at 6:35 pm #

Caroni Swamp? Yes! Asa Wright? Nope but I’ve heard of it(: I actually lived in Africa the past couple of years so I’m now getting back familiar with Trinidad places haha

• Ted Nelson March 22, 2014 at 6:44 pm #

You have been to Africa? You said you have not been to many places 🙂 I have never been to Africa. Enjoy your time in T&T.

• Séliné March 22, 2014 at 7:06 pm #

Lol, considering That I want to travel the world, I have not been to much but I do appreciate being here at the moment. It’s quite different and awesome^.^ where are you from, if you don’t mind?

• Ted Nelson March 22, 2014 at 7:16 pm #

T&T is a good place for a base. I live in Chicago, Illinois.

9. Alicia Serrao March 21, 2014 at 8:39 pm #

You need to add Crab and Dumpling from Tobago and Pelau, another national dish of Trinidad!!! Come back and try them!

• Ted Nelson March 22, 2014 at 5:50 pm #

Crab and dumpling sounds sooooo good right now Alicia. I cannot wait to return.

10. Louise Gunnet March 23, 2014 at 4:26 pm #

Aint eat nothing yet what about crab and dumpling or curry duck and dumpling

• Ted Nelson March 29, 2014 at 11:01 pm #

Yum, sounds delicious. Can’t wait to return.

• Joanne June 7, 2016 at 10:01 am #

You also need to try coconut bake and buljol (a kind of salad with salted fish). Also Said roti and tomato choka (roasted tomatoes salsa)

• Joanne June 7, 2016 at 10:03 am #

Its supposed to be SADA Roti, this autocorrect…. Lol

• Traveling Ted June 7, 2016 at 1:58 pm #

That all sounds delicious. I need to go through all these comments, go back to T&T, and try all the items that people have suggested like yourself. Then I can write a new post 🙂

11. Nazrudeen Ali March 25, 2014 at 1:00 pm #

Enjoyed your commentary about food in good ole TnT. Fortunately I try to get there every year. I haven’t tasted food the same anywhere I have visited. Love it. There are a lot to try such as fried breadfruit with curry fish or even fried eddoes with curry fish. A lot you haven’t tried.

• Ted Nelson March 29, 2014 at 11:02 pm #

You are lucky to get there year after year. I ate quite a lot of different foods during my week in T&T. Hard to believe there is so much more. Can’t wait to get back.

12. June Archibald March 26, 2014 at 3:09 am #

If you can get past how they look, on your next visit, you must try Chicken Foot Souse from the female vendor who has her cart on the corner across the street from Smokey and Bunty’s in St.James. Sooooooo delicious, with just the right amount of heat! Try some of the Chows too…..Mango, Pineapple, Pommecythere, Plum etc etc etc. Food in T&T is simply outstanding!

• Ted Nelson March 29, 2014 at 11:03 pm #

It sure is June. Thank you so much for the tip. I did check out the St. James neighborhood. Look forward to acting on this tip someday 🙂

13. Joanne June 7, 2016 at 10:06 am #

Please visit again, though we are a tiny Caribbean Island there’s so much more than meets the eye

• Traveling Ted June 7, 2016 at 1:59 pm #

Thank you Joanne. I certainly will. I had a great time and would love to return both for Carnival again and also some time when it is not so crazy.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The Temple in the Sea in Trinidad & Tobago | Traveling Ted TV - May 22, 2012

[…] transplanted from India. Their influence can be felt in all realms of society from spicing up the delicious food to interesting temples. Probably the most interesting temple, is found along the sea. Here is a […]

2. Life is a Carnival in Trinidad & Tobago | Traveling Ted TV - May 26, 2012

[…] my most popular posts. Photo essay of the beautiful women of Trinidad & Tobago at Carnival Seven delicious street foods from Trinidad & Tobago Asa Wright shows Trinidad is the land of the hummingbird Caroni Swamp home to the scarlet ibis: […]

3. Making the famed mole pablano sauce in Puebla: A photo essay | Traveling Ted TV - July 12, 2012

[…] and  travel – none to this point have been about cooking. There has been a post or two about food as this is an adventure we all deal with. Everyone has to eat, but this is the first post on […]

4. Boogie boarding and bake and shark at Maracas Beach in Trinidad : Traveling Ted - January 12, 2013

[…] view of Maracas Bay and the coastline. This overlook is a popular place to listen to soca, grab a delicious treat from a street vendor, and even listen to some […]