Capture the color and song 2013 #CTC13

My good friend Francesca from Work Mom Travels nominated me for Travel Supermarket’s Capture the color 2013 thus showing her motherly side by giving birth to this post.  The way it works is travel bloggers post five pictures representing the five main colors: blue, green, red, white, and yellow and then write a little about each picture. At the end you nominate five other bloggers.

In a song Frank Sinatra once bellowed that he did it “My Way.” In true Frank Sinatra fashion, I am going to do this post my way and do capture the color and song to shake it up a bit and make it different from my 2012 contribution.

Blue River:

Blue river, it can’t be found on any map that I know
But it’s the place where lonely lovers all go
To cry their tears, blue river
It winds along a path of heartache and pain
Of broken dreams from lovin’ someone in vain
Like I loved you, and baby I still do

Blue River, Wisconsin is a small lazy river town along the Wisconsin River near Boscobel. We routinely camp just downstream from the Blue River Bridge.

Wisconsin River Blue River

The Wisconsin River near Blue River

Green River

I can hear the bullfrog callin’ me
Wonder if my rope’s still hangin’ to the tree
Love to kick my feet way down the shallow water
Shoefly, dragonfly, get back to your mother
Pick up a flat rock, skip it across Green River
Well!

With all the rain we have received across the United States this spring and summer there are many green rivers. Here is a picture from the beautiful Pine River in northern Wisconsin just below where it drains into the Menominee River.

Pine River Green River

The Pine River in northern Wisconsin is looking mighty Green as are a lot of rivers across the nation

Red skies at night

Red skies at night, red skies at night
Oh oh, oh oh, oh oh oh, oh
Red skies at night, red skies at night
Oh oh, oh oh, oh oh oh, oh

Since this post is published on a Sunday it is fitting to include a Sunset Sunday photo. This red sky at night comes from a camping trip in the Porcupine Mountains in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Red skies Porcupine Mountains

Red skies at night in the Porcupine Mountains

I am dreaming of a white Christmas

I’m dreaming of a white Christmas
Just like the ones I used to know
Where the tree tops glisten
And children listen
To hear sleigh bells in the snow

Last Christmas a beautiful snow storm dumped over a foot of heavy snow in southern Wisconsin in and around Milwaukee. When snow falls near Chicago, I will follow. I was up the day after Christmas for some skiing in Kettle Moraine State Forest in the Pike Lake Unit.

White Christmas

Pike Lake Unit Kettle Moraine is the scene of a White Christmas

Watch out where the huskies go don’t you eat that yellow snow

When snow blankets the region it makes getting water easier if you like to winter backpack. You just melt some snow. I backpacked the Black Hills a couple of years ago in winter and enjoyed easy access to water with over a foot on the ground. One caveat when melting snow as Frank Zappa once eloquently warned: watch out where the huskies go.

Yellow snow

Watch out where the huskies go, don’t you eat that yellow snow – Wikimedia Creative Commons

Black Hills South Dakota

A photo of my winter camping trip to the Black Hills – Finish on a beautiful note for those who might be pissed off from the picture above :)

I nominate the following:

Jason from Jasons Writings/travels

Jeff Titelius from the Euro Travelogue

Leigh from Hike Bike and Travel

Michael from Easy Hiker 101

Aaron from Adventures of Elatlboy

For those nominated, the song aspect is not required. You can do it your way.

Here are the official rules.

, , , , ,

24 Responses to Capture the color and song 2013 #CTC13

1. Michael Schuermann September 9, 2013 at 9:40 am #

Thanks! And you made it more fun this way. Have to find an angle to “do it my way” after your challenge.
    Michael Schuermann recently posted..A Walk to the Most Famous Dambusters Raid Target

• Ted Nelson September 9, 2013 at 4:42 pm #

No need to follow in my footsteps, but if this post inspires you to take a different angle: be my guest. Look forward to your post.

2. Trips By Lance September 9, 2013 at 4:45 pm #

This is a lot to live up to in attempting my post. Very creative, especially the yellow.
    Trips By Lance recently posted..Family Fun at Indianapolis Central Canal

• Ted Nelson September 9, 2013 at 4:48 pm #

Thanks Lance. I did the competition last year, so I did not want to do the same type of post. I doubt there are many travel blog posts with a picture and warning about yellow snow 🙂 (let alone references to Frank Zappa).

3. Leigh September 10, 2013 at 12:31 am #

Thanks so much Ted. This is one contest I actually really like though it will take me forever to pick. I like your white photo the best.

And I agree with Lance – you have been very creative.
    (Mine might take a few weeks to go live.)
    Leigh recently posted..Hiking a Loop Trail in the Skoki Area, Banff National Park

• Ted Nelson September 15, 2013 at 6:10 pm #

Anytime Leigh. Looking forward to your contribution.

4. Leslie September 10, 2013 at 12:47 pm #

Love the picture of the red sky! This is a cute idea for a viral blog theme 🙂
    Leslie recently posted..Review: What to expect at Blackout Haunted House in New York City (Halloween 2013)

• Ted Nelson September 15, 2013 at 6:11 pm #

Thanks Leslie. The red sunset in the Porcupine Mountains was a highlight from last year.

5. @mrsoaroundworld September 10, 2013 at 1:21 pm #

Not sure which one is my favourite… I usually lean towards blue but the red sky is amazing
    @mrsoaroundworld recently posted..My secret place: Herdade do Vau, Alentejo, Portugal

• Ted Nelson September 15, 2013 at 6:11 pm #

Thanks Mrs. O,

Green and blue are my favorite colors, but I do enjoy a good sunset.

6. Fiona September 11, 2013 at 9:37 am #

Clever twist with the songs! Blue or green for me:)
    Fiona recently posted..History + Luxury with a Conscience at The Cavendish

• Ted Nelson September 15, 2013 at 6:12 pm #

Thanks Fiona,

I try and mix it up a bit especially since I did a similar post last year.

7. Mary Anne September 12, 2013 at 2:02 pm #

haha.. a sense of humor is never unappreciated. Loved the yellow snow comment.

• Ted Nelson September 15, 2013 at 6:16 pm #

I imagine there are not many blogs with Frank Zappa and yellow snow references.

8. Leah Travels September 13, 2013 at 3:09 am #

Aren’t you just the most creative person ever? I like the red skies the best!
    Leah Travels recently posted..Ambassador of Chili: Chef Dean Fearing brings Texas Red to Hawaii

• Ted Nelson September 15, 2013 at 6:16 pm #

I like to think I am a little smarter than the average bear.

9. lola September 15, 2013 at 5:19 pm #

LOVE the music to photos references!! Green and Red are my favorites 🙂
    lola recently posted..Highlights of Henley-on-Thames and the Royal Regatta

• Ted Nelson September 15, 2013 at 6:17 pm #

Thanks Lola,

I spared readers of this page music made done. That only happens at #RWTBEX when completely wasted.

10. the lazy travelers September 15, 2013 at 9:20 pm #

oooh look at you with your fancy take! the yellow one made me gag.
    the lazy travelers recently posted..no travel required: #frifotos

• Ted Nelson September 23, 2013 at 4:14 pm #

I am pleased that this post may be the only travel blog ever to reference Frank Zappa and surely the only one to highlight yellow snow.

11. D.J. - The World of Deej September 17, 2013 at 11:35 am #

A great mix here Ted….Don’t eat that yellow snow!
    D.J. – The World of Deej recently posted..How to Survive Traveling with Family

• Ted Nelson September 23, 2013 at 4:14 pm #

Watch out where the huskies go. You don’t have that problem in Florida.

12. i*Kan October 7, 2013 at 4:25 am #

Great take on the theme 🙂 The sunset shot is breathtaking.
    i*Kan recently posted..Capturing the Colour: Photographs from around the world

• Ted Nelson October 20, 2013 at 12:42 am #

Thank you! Since this them is a duplicate from last year, I wanted to do something different.