Seven delicious, naughty tropical fruits

Beautiful Thai women

There are many who come to Thailand due to the beautiful women – For me it is tropical fruits

There are many who come to Southeast Asia to experience the beauty of Asian women. They pine for the exotic and Jane, Wendy, and Sally just do not satiate their desires. There is even a whole sex tourism industry that revolves around this phenomenon.

I have no comment on what adults do in their private moments and will not cast judgement on them because I have a naughty fetish of my own. It is not beautiful women from other countries though. What really gets my blood boiling when I come to Southeast Asia is something just as naughty, hot, and tempting though. What really turns me on when I visit Thailand or Malaysia is their delicious tropical fruits.

I love American fruit too, but there are times when I need more than Jane banana, Wendy orange, and Sally apple. I long for something juicy, fresh, tender, and a little naughty.

Delicious tropical fruit

Freshly cut papaya and pineapple

Here are 7 of my favorite tropical fruits.

1. Pineapple – Here in America we have dole pineapples. While the canned variety is quite good, it is nowhere near the juiciness of the fresh type found in Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia, and other Southeast Asian countries. I feel the same way about dole pineapples as I do for Bob Dole. While I like it, I would not want to vote them in for president. Now a juicy, fresh, scrumptious pineapple from Thailand is a campaign that I can get behind.

Rambutan tropical fruit

Rough looking but delicious rambutan

2. Rambutan – When you first look at a rambutan fruit you may be a bit turned off. They do not look that hot. They are spiny, gangly, and rough around the edges, but when you take off their clothes and undress them, you find a succulent, tasty morsel. Umm, what a tasty nymph rambutan is.

Rambutan tropical fruit

Once undressed, the rambutan is succulent and delicious

3. Mangoes – Southeast Asia is not known for its big melons, so when you find a beauty with a beautiful pair, you know you need to act. These green melons are sweet, tasty, and great for a snack or so sinful that they make a great desert. I recommend you buy a pair and these fruits are all natural.

Durian fruit

The controversial durian

4.  Durian – Durian is a fruity that is so naughty, so filthy, so dirty, so smelly that you are not even allowed inside a hotel accompanied with this nasty treat. Some things in life though are so bad that they are good and durian is one of them.

Hack them open and a pungent, meaty, smelly fruit surrounds a seed. Eat around the seed and enjoy the delicious taste. Durian is an acquired taste that many either love or hate, so if you don’t like it the first time, give it another try. I tried it for the first time in Borneo, and I enjoyed it, but it did leave a weird taste in my mouth for hours afterward, but these are the pitfalls of imbibing in this trashy fruit.

naughty durian tropical fruit

No naughty durian allowed in this hotel

5.  Papaya– There is not many things more succulent then a slice of papaya. Cut it with a knife or fork and it goes through like butter. Papaya is one of the most refreshing fruits on a hot humid day with a great taste. It is a much classier version than the aforementioned durian.

6.  Jackfruit – Do not be deceived by this fruit because it is named after a guy. It is no ladyboy either. This is the tomboy of Asian fruit, and if you are unwilling to give it a shot, then you do not know Jack. Although not as moist and juicy as other fruits, jackfruit is just as good as the others on this list.

Coconut tropical fruit

Enjoying a tropical coconut

7. Coconut – The coconut is multipurpose when you cut it open. You get a refreshing drink and then when you are done lapping it up, you will find a tasty jelly fruit. I love my naughty fruits to have more than one trick up their sleeve when I purchase them, and a coconut sure delivers.

I am so turned on by writing this post that I need to go and see my hot pictures of tropical fruits and perhaps even book my next jungle adventure. I hope you too got a rise from reading this post.

There are more hot, juicy, tasty fruits than the seven I listed. What is a favorite of yours that I did not list and where did you enjoy it?  Please comment about it.

70 Responses to Seven delicious, naughty tropical fruits

1. Shikha (whywasteannualleave) February 2, 2014 at 9:16 pm #

I love that sign re the Durian – I tried it for the first time in Zanzibar and I have to admit, I’m not usually fussy when it comes to food but I really couldn’t stand it. I gave it 3 goes to see if it was just an acquired taste but I think it’s something you either love or hate!
    Shikha (whywasteannualleave) recently posted..Choosing a Cookery Class in Hoi An, Vietnam

• Ted Nelson February 4, 2014 at 1:41 am #

I admire the fact that you gave it three tries after not liking the first time. I thought it was ok, but I think I would like it better if I had it again, although not sure I would ever get over the pungent aftertaste.

2. Leigh February 4, 2014 at 3:18 am #

What were you drinking when you wrote this post? It sure made me laugh.

My vote is for mangoes – can’t get enough of those. Tried rambutan in Colombia last year and found them to be very yummy.

I do love your sense of humour Ted.

• Ted Nelson February 5, 2014 at 1:54 am #

Thanks Leigh,

I wish I could blame this warped look at tropical fruit on a one night drinking binge, but this has been forming in my mind for over a couple of months. I began to think about it while traveling in Asia, and I have been developing it in my mind ever since returning. Fun to look at things through a different perspective sometimes.

3. Kae Lani | A Travel Broad February 4, 2014 at 4:12 am #

The fruit is so spiky!!! But once you get past that part they look mighty juicy!
    Kae Lani | A Travel Broad recently posted..How to Opt Out of the TSA Body Scan

• Ted Nelson February 5, 2014 at 1:55 am #

Why I love tropical fruit. You can’t beat the juiciness. Sometimes oranges can be that way, but only at certain times.

4. john schwartz February 5, 2014 at 1:34 am #

I guess the “naughty fruits” are what they are. Naughty is in the eye of the beholder. As to the jackfruits, they are delicious with ice cream. And the famous coconut, try to drink its water directly from the nut without messing up yourself, and have someone picture you. On South-Asian women? The good ones are great but for keeps. So, once you start, you can’t stop at a one night stand.
    Cheers!
    john schwartz recently posted..Mars Man is Back

• Ted Nelson February 5, 2014 at 1:56 am #

Southeast Asian women are beautiful. I need to return for the fruit and stay for the women. Jackfruit and ice cream sounds great.

5. Michael Schuermann February 5, 2014 at 6:54 am #

I’ve tried almost all, except durian, when I was in the Philippines. I loved mangoes the most.
    Michael Schuermann recently posted..Part 3 in Nice – French Riviera Winter Walks

• Ted Nelson February 6, 2014 at 1:31 am #

Mangoes are quite delicious. They have durian in the Philippines, but I never tried it there either.

6. John February 5, 2014 at 9:52 am #

Andrew Zhimmern of “Bizarre Foods” fame, who had survived encounters with fried insects and the like, admitted defeat when it came to eating durian! Someone once said that eating durian is akin to eating exquisite cheese in a toilet. In an airconditioned environment, the smell would be absorbed by the fabrics. I understand that there is now a special equipment devised just to get rid of the smell in hotel rooms.

• Ted Nelson February 6, 2014 at 1:33 am #

I did not think it was as smelly as people make it out to be. Perhaps the Borneo version is not as pungent. I thought it was good. I would like to try it again in other countries to see if there is a difference. I hear Thailand is supposed to have the best.

7. Leslie February 5, 2014 at 12:49 pm #

Haha, who knew that tropical fruits were your main motivation for visiting SE Asia? 🙂
    Leslie recently posted..PHOTOS: Is Bushwick the best place to see street art in NYC?

• Ted Nelson February 6, 2014 at 1:34 am #

I have been shy to show off my fetish for many years, but now I am out of the closet when it comes to my love for tropical fruit.

8. Trips By Lance February 5, 2014 at 5:10 pm #

I like the creativity. I’ve never been to Asia and so have no clue about these fruits. But one of my favorite things about travel is trying foods I can’t get at home. I would happily try them all. And that melon mention, it reminded me of a certain college party called Melon Fest. I’ll just leave it at that.
    Trips By Lance recently posted..Five Reasons I like All-Inclusive Travel

• Ted Nelson February 6, 2014 at 1:35 am #

When it comes to freshness in food, the U.S. is like the worst, so whenever you travel overseas, you will get better fruit, vegetables, meat, anything. It is even more pronounced in the tropical zone.

9. Lola DiMarco February 5, 2014 at 5:27 pm #

HA this is great. You definitely caught Lola’s attention! Everyone needs something a little juicy, fresh, tender and a little naughty from time to time… touché!

• Ted Nelson February 6, 2014 at 1:36 am #

I am glad to hear the post is Lola approved. Great thing about juicy tropical fruit is it makes great mixers for cocktails.

10. Francesca (@WorkMomTravels) February 5, 2014 at 6:15 pm #

Oh my, Ted. I will not be sharing this with your little buddy, BonjourAmigo. What a creative spin, though. Nicely done!
    Francesca (@WorkMomTravels) recently posted..Does Your Hotel Have a Carbon Monoxide Detector?

• Ted Nelson February 6, 2014 at 1:36 am #

Thanks FF. Sorry that BA cannot read, but it definitely is at least PG-13.

11. Christy February 5, 2014 at 9:43 pm #

I love rambutans! My other favorite is Mangosteen. Have you tried it?
    Christy recently posted..Heart-Pounding Adventure in The Florida Keys

12. Mary Anne February 5, 2014 at 9:52 pm #

You can keep the dirty durian… The rest you can bring with you to visit anytime wink wink.

• Ted Nelson February 6, 2014 at 1:38 am #

Durian seems to be so controversial. It is like the Justin Beiber of fruits.

• Joe July 18, 2014 at 11:08 am #

LOL ….wdh did I just read, …JB of fruits … (>,<' )

• Joe July 18, 2014 at 11:22 am #

You were right bout Durian, sir.
        The most delicious durian ever is Bangkok species, becoz I thought Durian is a fruit native to Thailand originally from the South, so it make sense if Durian become very special in there

I’m an Indonesian by the way, thanks for this tasty-yummy article (^^ ,)b

13. @mrsoaroundworld February 5, 2014 at 10:28 pm #

yummmmmm! very curious about the durian!!!
    @mrsoaroundworld recently posted..My hOtel: The Landmark London

• Ted Nelson February 6, 2014 at 1:39 am #

People have very strong feelings about it both positive and negative.

14. John February 6, 2014 at 3:26 am #

Durians have different tastes, ranging from slightly (and pleasantly) bitter to sweet. Aficionados have their favorite tastes. Thai durians tend to be more fleshy, but perhaps not as tasty as the ones in Malaysia. “Moa San” (or “Cat Mountain”) are currently regarded as the best. Some enterprising merchants have started to vacuum pack the “meaty” parts of the durians, allowing them to be sent by air to China. Maybe there is a market for durians in the West?

• Ted Nelson February 7, 2014 at 5:57 am #

Interesting information on durians, John. I am not sure there is a market in the U.S. except for transplants who miss it. Most westerners seem to find durian a turn-off.

• Ivan April 20, 2014 at 7:35 am #

Its “Mao San Wang” a.k.a the king of cat’s mountain.
      Its so good that my cats go crazy when i bought it home.
      It comes once a year and event here in SE Asia, its the caviar of fruits.
      Dont eat it coz it makes u cant taste the other durian variants.
      For mangoes, try foxy gincu mangoes from indonesia. And you shouldnt miss cute duku, misterious matoa, mistress longan and juicy-booty pomelo

• Ted Nelson April 20, 2014 at 4:21 pm #

If it is good enough for cats, it is good enough for me 🙂 What time of the year does it come to SE Asia Ivan and where is the best country to try? Thank you the information.

15. Ben Warner February 6, 2014 at 3:18 pm #

Ted,

Any fruit cut open and served with alcohol gets a +1 rating from me!

Thanks for dropping some knowledge on us.

HugeParty,
    Ben

@HugePartyTravel

16. Michelle Magsamen February 6, 2014 at 4:08 pm #

Great descriptions for these fruits!

From living in SIngapore for a few years you were spot on with the durian commentary. My favorite fruit that I used to snack on was the rambutan; extremely savory and refreshing. In my opinion, Bangkok had some of the best coconuts I have ever tasted and I am normally not a big fan of coconut.

Great blog!
    Michelle

• Ted Nelson February 7, 2014 at 6:01 am #

Thanks Michelle,

Rambutans definitely are one of my favorites. A great snack, flavorful, and easy to peel. Bangkok is definitely a hot spot for tropical fruit. Thanks for the compliment and for stopping by.

17. Leah February 9, 2014 at 12:17 pm #

The fruit is one of my favorite things about visiting SE Asia. I could eat my weight in mangoes, but you can keep the durian. Yuck!

• Ted Nelson March 16, 2014 at 7:12 pm #

I will keep the durians Leah. I look forward to trying again.

18. Lauren February 9, 2014 at 5:32 pm #

Heya Ted! Asian Woman here, although not a very naughty one. 😀 I found your post hilarious, although– we’re not really exotic, we are just women. Not hot or juicy or edible and certainly not here to perpetuate stereotypes and satiate any desires.

I do miss the mangoes and the rambutan 😀
    Lauren recently posted..Bright Lights, Big City Macau

• Ted Nelson February 10, 2014 at 4:11 am #

Exotic is defined as: “originating in or characteristic of a distant foreign country,” so the perception swings both ways. I remember sharing a cab with a gentleman the first time I arrived in Asia about 8 years ago. He told me we were just as exotic to them as they are to us or something like that.

I was reminded of this observation when I was hiking through a jungle in Thailand. A couple of Thais with enormous cameras came up and propped one down on a tripod and pointed it to a tree. Then they encouraged me to take a look. I thought they had spotted some really cool bird or animal in a tree and wanted me to see it. I looked into the camera and could see only a tree. When I looked up to ask them what I was looking at they were taking pictures of me looking through their camera. That was all they wanted. They wanted a picture of a white exotic dude with a goofy hat looking through their telescopic camera.

19. D.J. - The World of Deej February 11, 2014 at 2:48 am #

Ha! No shirt, no shoes, no durian. Naturally, I’m intrigued by this one…
    D.J. – The World of Deej recently posted..Mandarin Bar Las Vegas – Cocktails with a View

• Ted Nelson February 15, 2014 at 5:10 pm #

Everyone loves a dirty durian tale.

20. the lazy travelers February 13, 2014 at 7:49 pm #

ted, you won’t be surprised when we say: there is just not enough booze paired with these fruits. cocktails, please! except for a durian cocktail. ahnothanks.
    the lazy travelers recently posted..style spotter: après-ski

• Ted Nelson February 15, 2014 at 5:11 pm #

I think a durian cocktail would be quite good and help temper the offensive taste and smell: at least offensive to some. A cocktail tropical fruit post would be a good follow up.

21. Erin at The World Wanderer February 14, 2014 at 2:34 am #

Love this post and the naughty tropical fruit of SE Asia. The pineapple I had in Thailand that we bought from a stand in the middle of nowhere and hacked open with a machete was the best I have ever had in my entire life. I still can’t look at pineapple in America the same.
    Erin at The World Wanderer recently posted..Cross-Country Skiing Away the Winter Blues.

• Ted Nelson February 15, 2014 at 5:12 pm #

Once you get a taste of the exotic, it is hard to go back.

22. Naomi March 14, 2014 at 2:12 pm #

I am a Durian tragic. Totally addicted to them. I don’t even notice the smell any more. I’ve had Durian from Cambodia and various parts of Indonesia, plus one imported frozen to Australia from Thailand. I think I liked the wild Sumatran ones the most.
    I like them so much I’m now like the locals sniggering at the westerners turning their noses up and gagging whilst I’m wolfing it down. And I’ve even smuggled one in to a hotel room once!!
    Naomi recently posted..The perfect shoe

• Ted Nelson March 16, 2014 at 7:15 pm #

Thanks for commenting. I am intrigued that you wrote that you do not notice the smell anymore. I figured durian would be something that is an acquired taste, which means I think I will eventually really like it because I tried it once and thought it tasted good although the after taste was not so great. This means I think I will get used to it and learn to love it assuming I get the opportunity to try it again.

• Naomi March 17, 2014 at 1:22 pm #

I’m not sure you can force yourself to like Durian in quite the way you can persist with other foods. I think the smell and taste is either overwhelmingly nauseating (in which case you are never going to go there again) or you have a mildly pleasant first experience (my first was similar to yours) that makes you want to give it a second try.
        Naomi recently posted..The perfect shoe

23. RJ March 29, 2014 at 8:03 pm #

Tbh, I’m not much a fan of Durian either, but it’s not because of the smell.

I feel kinda lucky being able to eat those fruits regularly though since I live in the Philippines, where all of the fruits you mentioned can be easily found.

Btw, the closest and most similar fruit to rambutan is lychee though rambutan is a lot more fruitier.

If you ever find yourself in the Philippines, be sure to try out halo-halo. “Halo” means mix and “halo-halo” can be translated as “mixed” and it’s exactly what it is. A mix of different fruits and fruit-based delicacies in shaved ice and sweet milk. It can have different mixes of sweet beans, either coconut or macapuno (the mutated, bigger, sweeter and more gelatinous version of the regular coconut), nata de coco, leche flan AKA creme caramel flan, ube halaya, ice cream (preferably coco milk based ice cream instead of milk based ones), sweetened langka (jackfruit), and etc. If you can find a durian ice cream to go with it, it’d be perfect.

That said, apart from mangoes, Macapuno and Nata de coco are two coconut variants that are easily addictive.

• Ted Nelson April 7, 2014 at 3:12 am #

Thanks for the information on other great fruit to enjoy. I hope to come to the Philippines soon and try your recommendations.

24. tom April 6, 2014 at 9:49 am #

rambutan is best eat fresh and wont last for 3 days. if its skin turn dark, it taste a little sour. Best rambutan is malaysia ‘gula batu’ sweet and crunchy. best mangoes is ‘ciku raja’, deep green and quite big. best jackfruit is nanka madu, best eat with vanilla ice cream or custard cream. as for duraians, go for d24 for thick and extra creamy taste. or the best is either Musang king or red prawn in penang. those 3 durian is the best and in malaysia. its a seasonal fruits though, be sure to ask around if you going for them. if the durian is too much to handle, or for first timer, try it with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. it smoothen the after taste.

• Ted Nelson April 7, 2014 at 3:13 am #

Anything with ice cream sounds good to me.

25. Candz April 19, 2014 at 6:53 am #

Try also Lanzones, and Marang which is a close family of Durian. Marang is more tolerable than Durian

• Ted Nelson April 20, 2014 at 4:18 pm #

Thanks Candz, good to know there are other fruit options not as extreme smell and taste wise as durian.

26. Rizal April 24, 2014 at 2:43 am #

Hi Ted,

Im Rizal from Malaysia. first of all thanks for promoting our local exotic fruits to the world. Still many other great local fruit you have to test yet… 🙂

if you do come again, please try for

1. mangosteen (purple fruit). however this is a season fruit. the white inside you cant forget..

2. Cempedak – similar to jackfruit but smaller.. better served with deep fried. and the smell and aroma is better than jackfruit.

3. Kuinin – this is quite epic.. it look like mango, taste almost same like mango.. but it smell much better… however the texture for kuinin is more fiber than mango. we call it KU-EE-NEEN.

4.Dokong/Duku Langsat – small fruit like a size of a golf ball… this fruit quite tangy and nice.. but please dont bite the seed.. it bitter.

5. Ciku – from far it look like kiwi but furless.. 😛 among the most sweet fruit in Malaysia. but somtimes people dont like it because its too sweet.

that for few local fruit… and then for those who cant eat raw durian, perhap you can go to local bakeries ask for Durian Crepe. a nice pastries. durian served with a cream and wrapped with soft flour skin and keep refrigerated to less the smell..

coconut shake- this shake is popular in Malacca. a coconut jelly blended with a vanilla ice cream and boom… this smoothies will bring you back to malacca… 😀

visit malaysia… truly asia… 🙂

• Ted Nelson May 4, 2014 at 3:55 pm #

Hi Rizal,

Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions. I will definitely be back. I love the sound of durian with ice cream.

27. Husinbanu July 7, 2014 at 1:04 am #

Hi Ted,
    I’m Banu from Malaysia. Nice to hear that you like our country although our Khatulistiwa climate are warm.
    Durian are my favourite . Here people like to eat durian with glutaneous rice where these recipe called ‘Pulut Durian”
    We cook glutaneous rice and eat with coconut milk that added with salt and sugar lightly. Eat together with durian. You can found this recipe at ‘ Pasar Malam or Night Market where malay hawker selling it) .
    You must try this when come to Malaysia again. Now is the month of Julai.. where you can found Mangosteen , durian , rambutan…and cempedak…( Please try Cempedak Goreng – cempedak been fried after deeped in better wheat flour that added with little bit salt and tumeric powder)…If you want the recipe i cant teach you ..no problem….and do try Durian Crepe like Rizal suggested….hahahaha
    Duku and langsat season is after this…

Hope you like my suggestion….

28. Husinbanu July 7, 2014 at 1:25 am #

Another thing as reminder,

Durian has their grade…example ….D24, Durian Kucing Tidur, Durian Udang Merah , Durian Musang King…and Durian Kampung (this is ordinary type and the flesh is in yellow or white meaty…taste differently…)
    For me i love Durian kampung ..small in size and very tasty and type of grade D24 and Kucing Tidor)..

and when you eat durian..you can’t eat to much cause very heaty after eating eat and you need to drink plenty of water to cool down otherwise can’t sleep….hahahaha…or you will found out some Malaysian after eating durian…the empty husk…they pour plain water into the empty durian compartment and stir it with your finger / spoon and drink the water using the empty husk of durian….because it contain enzyme that can make you cool down or you eat mangosteen together after eating durian…cause the mangosteen reverse the heaty body to cool down. Thats why you can see Malaysian when they buy durian they buy mangosteen too…hahaha….so this are the tips I share with you when you eat durian…

i’m a nurse…so my medical advice : if have diabetic …please don’t eat too much ..
    i hope this tips help you to handle when you have complication…of eating durian……You will found in love with durian when you have tried all the type of durians..then you found your own sweatheart that you like most…lol

29. Dana @ Karon Beach Resort and Spa September 10, 2014 at 10:09 am #

This is a great article that features all the amazingly delicious tropical fruits of the Southeast Asia. Thank you for this post!

30. Anifeja October 19, 2014 at 2:32 am #

All fruits loooks nice but the one that I would like to try in Thailad is coconut and pineapple.
    Anifeja recently posted..Top foods for diabetics

• Traveling Ted November 3, 2014 at 2:46 am #

The coconut and pineapple are so juicy there. I hope you get to try it soon.

31. Financial Experts December 18, 2014 at 9:29 am #

I love to eat wendy orange and sandy apple fruit. Sometimes take it as juice. Coconut water is one of my basic fruit i usually take it with lunch. Thanks to share this traveling blog with us.

• Traveling Ted December 22, 2014 at 1:51 am #

Thanks FE for sharing your naughty favorites 🙂

32. Donna September 21, 2015 at 4:54 am #

It’s funny how you describe durian. I absolutely love durian but most people around me hate it and they just can stand the smell of it. Not sure why 🙂
    Donna recently posted..Does Whey Protein Make You Fat?

• Traveling Ted March 19, 2016 at 10:32 pm #

Thanks Donna,

I enjoyed it and only had it once, and I know it is kind of an acquired taste, so I am eager to give it a second and third try.