Ontario canoeing fishing camping photo essay

McConnell Lake Road

The Ontario canoeing camping fishing adventure began when we drove down McConnell Lake Road

Ontario canoeing fishing camping photo essay

The week prior to Labor Day was spent in Ontario on an adventure canoeing, fishing, and camping on a week long road trip with my dad. We spent two days driving up through Michigan, Sarnia, Toronto, and finally to North Bay, Ontario. We spent four nights in northern Ontario before returning home.

I have already posted reports about the camping experience coming and going:

A three Ontario, Canada campground adventure

My dad lives in an RV park near Lake City, Florida during the winter. He met Dave and Lana from North Bay, Ontario there. They work at a granite quarry during the summer at the end of McConnell Lake road on beautiful Reynolds Lake. We met them in North Bay and spent one night at the quarry and then moved on to Samuel De Champlain Provincial Park for three nights of camping before we returned home.

Mattawa River

I was in awe of the beauty on the Mattawa River – photo taken by my dad

McConnell Lake Road, the quarry, and Reynolds Lake

We met Dave and Lana in North Bay and then drove to their place at the end of McConnell Lake Road. Before heading down the road we crossed over the Ottawa River into Quebec. We took a quick drive around Temiscaming before coming back to Ontario. On the way to Quebec we saw a black bear cross the road about a quarter mile in front of us.

McConnell Lake Road

The long drive down McConnell Lake Road

Moose crossing

This blurry shot is a moose crossing sign – No moose seen, but we did see a black bear

After the jarring 30 kilometer stretch down the McConnell Lake Road, we arrived at Reynolds Lake and a granite quarry. It was interesting to see a live quarry. They distribute rocks all the way to Germany. The Germans like the red granite, and they use it in the tombs for their soldiers. I am not a big fan of quarries, but people do have to work, and there is a demand for granite counter tops and that has to come from somewhere.

granite quarry

Rocks being gathered at the quarry

Granite quarry Ontario

Red rocks being gathered, which will eventually end up in Germany

Once we arrived at the quarry, we settled in and then went fishing around beautiful Reynolds Lake. We only caught a small perch, but we enjoyed being the only ones along the lake except for beaver and some loons. It was a wonderful paddle around this secluded lake.

Reynolds Lake Ontario Canada

My dad and friend Dave checking out Reynolds Lake

Ontario canoeing fishing camping

Ontario canoeing fishing camping – Getting ready to fish with Dad

Ontario canoeing fishing camping

Ontario canoeing fishing camping – Reynolds Lake

Ontario Canada loons

Sharing the lake with a loon family

Beaver house Reynolds Lake

Ontario canoeing fishing camping – chez beaver on Reynolds Lake

Ontario canoeing fishing camping

Ontario canoeing fishing camping – Fishing with my Dad on Reynolds Lake

Ontario canoeing fishing camping

Ontario canoeing fishing camping – Fascinating clouds on Reynolds Lake

We enjoyed a beautiful evening on Reynolds Lake while we caught up with our Canadian friends and were treated to a beautiful sunset over the lake. A treat for me was that the quarry had Wi-fi. It was one of the few times I was able to connect the whole trip.

Ontario canoeing fishing camping

Ontario canoeing fishing camping – Reynolds Lake at sunset

Reynolds Lake Ontario Canada

The many facets of Reynolds lake – This one with sunshine and blue sky

The Mattawa River

After pulling out of the quarry the next day. We moved to Samuel De Champlain Provincial Park for three days of camping and more canoeing and fishing. The first day we canoed the Amable Du Fond River into the Mattawa and fished. The second day we canoed and fished Long Lake. We only caught small smallmouth bass and rock bass, but the scenery was spectacular as was the weather.

Amable Du Fond River

Dad and I as we got ready to canoe the Amable Du Fond and Mattawa Rivers

Ontario canoeing fishing camping

Ontario canoeing fishing camping – Heading out into the Mattawa River

Ontario canoeing fishing camping

Ontario canoeing fishing camping

Mattawan River

Canoeing the beautiful Mattawa River

Ontario canoeing fishing camping

After the canoe trip, I did a little hiking in Samuel De Champlain Provincial Park

Ontario canoeing fishing camping

Ontario canoeing fishing camping – Our cozy campground at Samuel De Champlain Provincial Park

Long Lake – Samuel De Champlain

The next day we canoed and fished Long Lake in Samuel De Champlain Provincial Park. Another stunner both on the scenery and the weather. The fishing was a little disappointing although Dave caught two fish at one time one one hook. This is a feat I have never seen before.

Samuel De Champlain Long Lake

Paddling out to Long Lake in Samuel De Champlain Provincial Park

Ontario canoeing fishing camping photo essay

Ontario canoeing fishing camping photo essay – A double fish on Long Lake

Ontario canoeing fishing camping photo essay

Ontario canoeing fishing camping photo essay – Long Lake

Ontario canoeing fishing camping photo essay

Ontario canoeing fishing camping photo essay

Ontario canoeing fishing camping photo essay

Ontario canoeing fishing camping photo essay – Beautiful granite cliffs along Long Lake

Ontario canoeing fishing camping photo essay

Ontario canoeing fishing camping photo essay – Long Lake

Ontario canoeing fishing camping photo essay

Ontario canoeing fishing camping photo essay

After fishing Long Lake, we headed outside the park to check out the Eau Claire Gorge and enjoy some Canadian poutine.  This adventure can be found here:

A waterfall poutine adventure in Ontario, Canada

Adventure On!

, , ,

25 Responses to Ontario canoeing fishing camping photo essay

1. JP September 22, 2014 at 1:45 pm #

Is there anything better than spending quality time with your dad fishing and camping? I think not. What a wonderful little adventure you had, love Canada!!
    JP recently posted..The Alligator Farm & Zoological Park – St. Augustine

• Traveling Ted September 28, 2014 at 6:02 pm #

Thanks JP. Yes, definitely great to spend time with dad in the great outdoors no matter what age.

2. Leigh September 24, 2014 at 3:16 am #

Looks like a great few days in Ontario. I have paddled some of the lakes in the Temagami system and there are some fantastic canoe routes you’d really enjoy.
    Your dad is lucky to have you to share these adventures.
    Leigh recently posted..Canoeing from the Cameron River Ramparts to Yellowknife

• Traveling Ted September 28, 2014 at 6:04 pm #

There are an amazing amount of canoe possibilities in this region and Algonquin is just a little bit south. I am lucky to have a dad that got me into the outdoors as a kid, so great to spend time with him now.

3. Meg @ Mapping Megan September 24, 2014 at 4:39 am #

Love the photo of Reynolds Lake at sunset Ted – so stunning! I’m not huge into fishing but I do enjoy being out on the water while everyone else fishes! Great photos 😉
    Meg @ Mapping Megan recently posted..6 of the Most Adventurous Eating and Drinking Experiences in the World

• Traveling Ted September 28, 2014 at 6:06 pm #

I think you would be into eating fish, if we caught any. Fresh fish out of the clean Canadian waters is so fresh and tasty. Unfortunately, we only caught small ones. We did enjoy the amazing scenery though.

4. the lazy travelers September 24, 2014 at 3:42 pm #

tedward, i have to say, you’re really stepping up your photography game. beaaautiful! xo, the wino
    the lazy travelers recently posted..jetsetters: the traveling greaves

• Traveling Ted September 28, 2014 at 6:06 pm #

The scenery was so spectacular, it did all the hard work.

5. Francesca (@WorkMomTravels) September 25, 2014 at 4:34 pm #

Love love love! I’m a big fan of Ontario fishing trips with dad but I could never get mine to go in a canoe. I agree with the wino – your pictures are fab! I especially love the first one, the one taken by your dad.
    Francesca (@WorkMomTravels) recently posted..Social Media Week Chicago #SMWChicago #SMWChiTravel

• Traveling Ted September 28, 2014 at 6:08 pm #

Thanks FF,

It was a fantastic week even without a trophy fish thanks to the beautiful weather and scenery.

6. Pola (Jetting Around) September 27, 2014 at 9:23 am #

So cool that you get to travel with your dad! I followed your trip on FB since I like Ontario (and drove through the state recently). Looks so relaxing, and that sunset, ahh…
    Pola (Jetting Around) recently posted..Visiting Lake Bled, Slovenia

• Traveling Ted September 28, 2014 at 6:09 pm #

Ontario is a wonderful province. Would love to do some more exploring in the future.

7. Mary @ Green Global Travel September 27, 2014 at 2:33 pm #

Beautiful photos of your canoeing and fishing trip. It makes me want to get outdoors as soon as possible. It so great that you and your Dad can spend time together in nature.
    Mary @ Green Global Travel recently posted..LOUISIANA: Charmed at the New Orleans Historic Voodoo Museum

• Traveling Ted September 28, 2014 at 6:10 pm #

I am lucky to have a dad that introduced me to the outdoors. Look forward to more trips in the future with him.

8. Margherita @The Crowded Planet September 28, 2014 at 9:33 pm #

Truly the great outdoors in this photo essay, an atmosphere that we rarely get to experience in Europe. I would love to have this kind of experience, even though I find fishing rather boring. The views are stunning, and I’d love to try poutine!
    Margherita @The Crowded Planet recently posted..Birdwatching in Liminka Bay with Jari Peltomaki

9. Miriam of Adventurous Miriam September 29, 2014 at 10:14 pm #

Ted, your photo of the Ontario sunset is simply stunning! And you had WiFi this time 🙂
    Miriam of Adventurous Miriam recently posted..There’s a little place called Gili Trawangan

• Traveling Ted October 2, 2014 at 5:50 pm #

Thanks Miriam,

I knew as soon as I saw the lake that it would provide a good sunset experience. Glad that the sky cooperated.

10. Trips By Lance October 1, 2014 at 4:47 pm #

Love those small lakes with trees everywhere. I live on the wrong side of Tennessee to be able to enjoy scenery that could compare to this. The photo of the double fish, that water looks like glass.
    Trips By Lance recently posted..Sleeping Bear Dunes Three-Hour Guide

• Traveling Ted October 2, 2014 at 5:52 pm #

We enjoyed a couple of just gorgeous days, so that was nice. It was not too hot and not too windy.

11. Natasha October 2, 2014 at 10:09 am #

Looks like you had a great time! Beautiful country!

12. Hank Vlietstra October 2, 2014 at 2:45 pm #

Beautiful – Especially beautiful from the water! Thanks Ted.

• Traveling Ted October 2, 2014 at 5:54 pm #

Thanks Hank,

Some great waterways in Canada.

13. Hank Vlietstra October 2, 2014 at 2:51 pm #

I haven’t done a lot of canoe trips, but my favorite was a section of the Cold River in Saskatchewan’s Meadow Lake Provicial Park. That place looks awesome, Ted.

• Traveling Ted October 2, 2014 at 5:54 pm #

Sounds fantastic. My favorite is Quetico, which is just across the border from the BWCA and Minnesota. Might return there next year.