Porcupine Mountains in Upper Peninsula, Michigan fall color photo essay

Porcupine Mountain fall color

Porcupine Mountain fall color photo essay- Entering an enchanted forest

The Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula is one of the best subjects for a fall color photo essay in the Midwest, the United States, and the even the world. The most amazing overlook in the park is the Lake of the Clouds. The spector of the fall foliage is so intense here that it warrants two posts.

I have already posted about the stunning Lake of the Clouds scenic overlook, so this fall color photo essay takes you through the rest of the hike. I hiked a little over 25 miles in two and a half days. I emerged from the wilderness on the last day around noon. My hike took me down from the Lake of the Clouds Scenic Overlook to the lake itself, then to Mirror Lake and Lily Pond to the Little Carp River.

Porcupine Mountains State Wilderness Michigan

The Big Carp River as it flows out of Lake of the Clouds

I camped a night on the Little Carp River and then proceeded to walk to its confluence with Lake Superior. I continued to follow Lake Superior for ten miles and camped along its beautiful shores one night. After waking up to the crashing of Lake Superior waves, I hiked out of the woods, but not before seeing some amazing views of the forest and the lake from the escarpment near the highway.

Porcupine Mountains Michigan fall colors

The forest was full of amazing yellow, oranges, and sometimes red

Porcupine Mountains Michigan fall foliage

Another shot of the amazing Porcupine Mountain forest

Porcupine Mountains Mirror Lake

The aptly named Mirror Lake

Porcupine Mountains Mirror Lake

A rowboat on the shore of Mirror Lake

Porcupine Mountains Lily Pond

Lily Pond with the Porcupine Mountains flashing colors in the background

Porcupine Mountains State Wilderness Area

The row boat at Lily Pond covered in red leaves

Porcupine Mountains Michigan fall colors

A ridge line covered in oranges, yellows, and a few pine trees

Porcupine Mountains Little Carp River

Colors bloom along the Little Carp River

Porcupine Mountains Little Carp River

Another shot from the beautiful Little Carp River

Porcupine Mountains fall colors

A blazing orange tree along the Little Carp River

Porcupine Mountains Michigan fall colors

A photo from the Lake Superior Trail

Porcupine Mountains State Wilderness Area

Blazing red tree along the Lake Superior Trail

Porcupine Mountains Lake Superior Upper Peninsula Michigan

A last treat on the hike was climbing up from Lake Superior for this view

Porcupine Mountains Lake Superior Trail

One last view along Lake Superior before the trail returns to the parking lot

Adventure on!

, , , , ,

30 Responses to Porcupine Mountains in Upper Peninsula, Michigan fall color photo essay

1. Charles Higgins October 15, 2012 at 7:12 pm #

Great photo display of the changing colors of the fall turn…

Cheers..
    Charles Higgins recently posted..Tigers win Game 1, now favored over Yankees in ALCS at Vegas sports books

2. robb714 October 15, 2012 at 8:32 pm #

The Row boat pic gets my vote for next year’s October picture on any calendar. As usual, many awesome pictures.
    robb714 recently posted..Handling the Holidays

• travelingted October 22, 2012 at 3:48 am #

Thanks Robb,

I was just about to walk away from the boat. As an afterthought, I took a quick picture with my camera and iPhone. Funny how sometimes the coolest pictures are not planned or expected.

3. Jeremy Branham October 16, 2012 at 4:33 pm #

You’re making me very jealous with all these photos! I haven’t had the chance to enjoy the Fall colors yet. Hope I get a chance to soon! Beautiful photos!
    Jeremy Branham recently posted..The University Motel – comfort and compassion at the University of Washington

• travelingted October 22, 2012 at 3:50 am #

There is so much going on in the fall, it can be hard to get out and see the colors. I hope you get a chance before they fall.

4. The World Wanderer October 17, 2012 at 9:12 pm #

This post just made me smile. I love love love the fall and this is exactly why…it’s beautiful! My favorite picture, though I love them all, is the one of the boat covered in leaves. Beautiful!
    The World Wanderer recently posted..Thoughts on Turning Two.

5. Leah Travels October 17, 2012 at 11:37 pm #

Again, the torture of the fall foliage. Do you ever stop? Bastard.
    Leah Travels recently posted..Global Entry: Yet Another Advantage to Having Never Been Arrested

• travelingted October 22, 2012 at 3:51 am #

This is my version of Chinese water torture.

6. Raul (@ilivetotravel) October 18, 2012 at 12:37 am #

Holy crap, Ted! How much did it cost you to buy these pix?? :) AWESOME photography work, Ted. Michigan should pay you for these pix to advertise the beauty of the state. I REALLY want to see the Porcupine Mountains in the fall now. Great job
    Raul (@ilivetotravel) recently posted..Having a Good Time in Willemstad, Curacao: Beach, Food and Music

• travelingted October 22, 2012 at 3:52 am #

Thanks Raul,

All of these pictures were taken by little ole me with a small digital camera. Thanks, I am glad you enjoyed the fall color show.

7. @mrsoaroundworld October 18, 2012 at 11:47 am #

Fab photos, Ted! Seriously seriously autumney. Love them!
    @mrsoaroundworld recently posted..Samsonite Giveaway – Kuoni at John Lewis

• travelingted October 22, 2012 at 3:53 am #

Thanks Mrs. O. It was a colorful hike. Wish I was back now.

8. D.J. - The World of Deej October 18, 2012 at 12:25 pm #

Incredible shots…I love the rowboat pic…
    D.J. – The World of Deej recently posted..Finding Florida – Discovering the Capital

• travelingted October 22, 2012 at 3:54 am #

Thanks Deej,

I am glad I took that rowboat picture before walking away.

9. thelazytravelers October 18, 2012 at 3:37 pm #

we second (third, fourth, fifth?) the like on the rowboat picture. phenoms.
    thelazytravelers recently posted..living the swiss life

• travelingted October 22, 2012 at 3:54 am #

Appreciate the compliment.

10. Britany October 18, 2012 at 3:45 pm #

Makes me wanna snuggle into an oversized sweater and roll around in the leaves. Love.
    Britany recently posted..We Signed up for the Mongol Rally!! Wait… What??

• travelingted October 22, 2012 at 3:57 am #

Thanks Britany,

Fall is such a comfortable time. The weather is nice and the colors are beautiful.

11. Kieu ~ GQ trippin October 20, 2012 at 1:47 am #

Ahh I love the row boat at Lily Pond. Seriously.. I love fall colors but I don’t even think I’ve seen such beautiful shades than that in this post! Beautiful.
    Kieu ~ GQ trippin recently posted..India: Travel Costs & Highlights

• travelingted October 22, 2012 at 3:58 am #

Thanks Kieu,

Upper Peninsula in Michigan is right up there with the best places to see fall colors. I would put it right up there with New England and Maine.

12. lola October 20, 2012 at 3:33 pm #

gorgeous photos, Ted. the rowboat one needs to be entered in a photo contest of some kind that you will, of course, WIN! ;)
    lola recently posted..travel insurance – it’s better to be safe than sorry!

• travelingted October 22, 2012 at 3:59 am #

Thanks for the encouragement. Might have to sign up for a fall color contest.

13. Fiona October 20, 2012 at 7:03 pm #

Love the yellows and golds – so so beautiful!

14. Pola (@jettingaround) October 23, 2012 at 8:19 am #

That lily pond picture is amazing… Such a beautiful area!
    Pola (@jettingaround) recently posted..My ten favorite things about the USA

• travelingted October 24, 2012 at 11:21 am #

Thanks Pola,

I can’t wait to get back there.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Porcupine Mountains Wilderness backcountry photo essay : Traveling Ted - January 13, 2013

[…] a three day hike last month. I have posted about the fall colors both at Lake in the Clouds and in the woods, I have posted about the wonderful backcountry camping, and I have written a post about an amazing […]