Join Leinenkugel’s for a brewery tour in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin

Leinenkugel's Lodge

Join Leinenkugel’s at the Leinie’s Lodge in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin

On the way to adventure in Quetico or the Boundary Waters Canoe Area from Chicago, I have passed the sign for the Leinekugel Brewery beer tours in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin many times. I have always wanted to check it out as Leinenkugel’s has always been a favorite beer of mine.

Leinenkugel's Brewery

Leinenkugel’s Brewery with the trucks that take the delicious concoctions to our town

This past week during the Wisconsin canoe and road trip, I finally had my chance. Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin is in the Chippewa Valley just northeast of Eau Claire, Wisconsin. It is about six hours north of Chicago, four and a half hours northwest of Milwaukee, and about two hours due east from Minneapolis.

Leinie’s catch phrase in commercials that air in Chicago is “join us out here.” The commercials display typical northwoods fare like deer, clean water, camping, and of course beer drinking. In other words, Leinenkugel’s is my kind of company.

I have had the pleasure of meeting all three brothers on their trips down to Chicago for the Friendly Float, which is a division of their canoes for a cause. Not only do they brew tasty beer, but they also promote clean water in Chicago, Milwaukee, Chippewa Falls, and beyond. Three things that are dear to my heart are adventure, conservation, and beer.

John Leinenkugel

Hanging with John Leinenkugel at the Chicago Friendly Float

When Leinenkugel’s comes into Chicago for the Friendly Float they do not mess around. They pay a hefty price for the event supplying the canoes for over 200 paddlers, they set up a full breakfast, a tasty lunch, live music, and each participant gets a wrist band with four complimentary beer tickets. All you need to do is sign up and it is free.

Therefore, it came as no surprise that their beer tour is free. Just come to the Leinie’s Lodge in Chippewa Falls and come to the front desk and sign up. Not only is the tour free, but you get four free samplers and a coupon book for beer discounts in the area.

Leinenkugel's Brewery

This is where you can get set up with a free tour at Leinie’s Lodge

I signed up for a tour and my tour guide was 8 year Leinie’s vet Katie. She expertly led our group around the beer making facility. Sorry there are no pictures from inside the brewery as there are no cameras allowed inside.

You could tell right away that Katie was a pro as when she said Leinenkugel’s have been brewing beer continuously since 1876, a hand shot up and asked what they did during Prohibition. During this period in time when our country lost their senses, Leinies made soda pop and brewed a beer and then burnt off the alcohol. During Prohibition you could make beer, you just could not distribute it. Katie also knew that Wisconsin was one of the later states affected by the restrictive laws and were still brewing and distributing beer into 1925.

The tour did a great job of describing how beer was made, the history of Leinenkugel’s, and the different beers made by the company. We got to see all the different steps in the process from the mixing to the bottling.

Leinenkugel Brewery tour

Katie begins the tour at the Leinenkugel Lodge

After the tour was over, it was time to return to the lodge for some tasting. One of my favorite summer beers is the Summer Shandy, which is a beer mixed with lemonade. I discovered they had a new Lemon Berry Shandy, which is fruitier but also very refreshing concoction. I also tried the Oktoberfest. Chippewa Falls has an annual Oktoberfest in late September, which the community was getting geared up for.

Leinenkugel Lodge bar

Where the samples are doled out at the Leinenkugel Lodge

Leinenkugel's Lodge tour

Enjoying a summer wheat at the Leinie’s Lodge

I had a conversation with Mary who manages the lodge and she mentioned there is a local shop called Olson’s Ice Cream, which makes a pumpkin ice cream with their Oktoberfest beer. I had to try that out and went over there and had a delicious pumpkin ice cream malt.

Olsons Ice Cream Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

Olson’s Ice Cream on Bridge Street in downtown Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin

I also went across the river to Canal Street and enjoyed a tasty hamburger at Sweeney’s and washed it down with a couple of Leinie originals. They are touted as a place where locals get a burger or pizza. I had a delicious pizza burger, so I got the best of both worlds.

The lodge also has a huge warehouse of Leinenkugel clothing and souvenirs. It is definitely worth a stop to get off the highway and spend an hour or two touring the brewery and more time in Chippewa Falls.

Leinie's Lodge Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin

A look at the beautiful Leinie’s Lodge

Despite the name Leinie Lodge, there is no lodging here. For those looking for a place to stay nearby, there are a ton of options in nearby Eau Claire as well as the Avalon Hotel & Conference Center in Chippewa Falls. Campers will find a place to set up their tent at Lake Wissota State Park: a lake that Leinenkugel’s is working to clean up.

Stay tuned,

The goal of Traveling Ted TV is to inspire people to outdoor adventure travel and then provide tips on where and how to go. If you liked this post then enter your email in the box to get email notifications for each new entry. Daily travel photos are excluded from your email in order to not flood you with posts. There is no spam and email information will not be shared. Other e-follow options include Facebook (click on the like box to the right) or twitter (click on the pretty bird on the rainbow above).

About Ted Nelson

, ,

23 Responses to Join Leinenkugel’s for a brewery tour in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin

1. Erika September 13, 2012 at 6:59 pm #

Looks cool! I still can’t wrap my head around beer ice cream though… How was it?
    Erika recently posted..Returning to Riviera Maya

• travelingted September 13, 2012 at 7:11 pm #

It was delicious. Could not really taste the beer :)

2. Charles Higgins September 16, 2012 at 4:35 pm #

Makes one want to go out and get a six-pack…or two..

Cheers…
    Charles Higgins recently posted..Las Vegas named top fall 2012 travel destination by Travel Leaders Group

• travelingted September 16, 2012 at 5:09 pm #

Leinenkugel’s now distributes in all 50 states.

3. John Leinie September 18, 2012 at 6:29 pm #

Ted, thanks for taking the time to visit the Brewery and the Leinie Lodge and providing a great write-up. You, family and friends are welcome there anytime!

Cheers!

• travelingted September 19, 2012 at 11:18 am #

Thanks John, I enjoyed my visit and enjoyed Chippewa Falls. I would like to come back soon and do some fishing, canoeing, and camping up there. Look forward to seeing you again in Chicago.

4. Francesca (@WorkMomTravels) September 19, 2012 at 2:49 pm #

Woo hoo, I can’t wait to go! And I can fish and canoe in Chippewa Falls?! Bonus points!
    Francesca (@WorkMomTravels) recently posted..A slice of Pure Michigan at Ludington State Park

• travelingted September 23, 2012 at 5:02 pm #

Lake Wissota is good state park close by and there is also the Eau Claire and Chippewa Rivers close by.

5. @mrsoaroundtheworld September 19, 2012 at 3:09 pm #

This sounds like fun – i love how you describe distances in hours, 6h for us is a lot and for you guys, just a dot on the map.

Don’t love beer, but that shandy could tempt me to try… but very very intrigued about the pumpkin ice cream!!
    @mrsoaroundtheworld recently posted..A perfect weekend in Dublin, Ireland

• travelingted September 23, 2012 at 5:04 pm #

Six hours is kind of far to drive for a weekend, but doable for a three day weekend or a week.

The shandy is really good, I think you would enjoy it. It is very refreshing on a hot summer day.

6. the lazy travelers September 20, 2012 at 9:23 pm #

we were recently on a road trip and ended up at a pub in connecticut that had leinenkugel signs all over the place! i had never heard of it before. love a good brewery tour.
    the lazy travelers recently posted..no travel required

• travelingted September 20, 2012 at 9:54 pm #

I was surprised to hear on the tour that they now are in all 50 states. Your comment confirms they are spreading.

7. Tawny- Captain and Clark September 21, 2012 at 2:08 am #

A free beer tour with samples? Sign us up. We’d also like a side of beer ice cream please!

• travelingted September 23, 2012 at 5:05 pm #

If you like pumpkin, the pumpkin ice cream is awesome.

8. D.J. - The World of Deej September 21, 2012 at 12:41 pm #

Definitely my kind of tour! I’ve enjoyed Leinenkugel’s several times…maybe I can do so here one day:)

• travelingted September 22, 2012 at 8:01 pm #

I was surprised to hear they now import to all 50 states. I wonder where in Florida they sell?

9. John September 23, 2012 at 4:40 pm #

I love brewery tours and tastings…I know there are some great breweries in the Great Lakes Region (Leine’s included) that I can’t wait to check out.
    John recently posted..Visiting Denver, Colorado: The Local’s Take With Kim Olson

• travelingted September 23, 2012 at 5:06 pm #

My favorite local brewery is Three Floyds in Northern Indiana. They make incredible micro-brews. Leinie’s is a great place to drive and visit because it is so beautiful up north.

10. Leah Travels September 24, 2012 at 4:31 pm #

Free + Beer = One Happy Ted

Seriously, this looks like it was a great day. I’m really excited to know more about this pumpkin/beer/malt. Sounds tasty.
    Leah Travels recently posted..Seeing Egypt the Russian Way: Scary Planes & Friendly Camels

11. Nathan September 24, 2012 at 6:20 pm #

Got to love the Leinie Lodge! Growing up here in Wisconsin and only about 3 hrs from there, can’t help but be a beer expert. The tour is always a god time and very informative.
    Reading this has reminded me that I need to restock the Honey Wies in the fridge.

• Nathan September 24, 2012 at 6:37 pm #

By the way, that last comment should be Weiss and not Wies. The autocorrect on this iPhone drives me nuts sometimes. LOL

12. The World Wanderer September 24, 2012 at 8:45 pm #

Have to admit that I was so excited to read this, as beer is also one of my loves. I recently discovered Leinenkugel’s Summer Shandy, and I love it. Had no idea where it was brewed, but thanks to you, now I do! :) I must head here one of these days!
    The World Wanderer recently posted..Exploring the Okavango Delta: Part One.

13. Raul (@ilivetotravel) September 26, 2012 at 12:16 am #

Sounds like you ate and drank up a storm! I would love to check this place/town out sometime. Wisconsin beckons!
    Raul (@ilivetotravel) recently posted..Photo of the Week – Harbor in Dubrovnik, Croatia