Five ways to beat the heat during this oppressive summer

Playa Manuel Antonio

The beach is an obvious retreat from the heat

The summer of 2012 is set to be one of the hottest on records and polar bears are feeling the heat. When it is hot, adventure travel can kind of slow down. Who wants to hike while losing your body weight in water?  Although it is understandable to slow down, adventure travel does not have to stop all together during a heat wave.

The best aspect of these five options is they can all be done in a frugal manner.

Here are five ways to beat the heat

Beach time

Sitting on a beach is not that adventurous, but hiking through a jungle and then emerging at a beach to go swimming sure is. While I was in Trinidad & Tobago I found a two mile trail through a jungle that emerged at Macqueripe Beach.  After a swim it was time for the two mile hike back.

Macqueripe Beach Trinidad & Tobago

Macqueripe Beach is a great halfway point for a hike through the jungle as the sun fades over Venezuela in the distance

Hike to a waterfall

There is nothing quite like a refreshing dip in a waterfall. I have had this pleasure in Thailand, the Philippines, Trinidad, and here in the U.S.  Abrams Falls in the Great Smoky Mountains is my favorite swimming hole in the U.S., but the waterfall down from the Batad Rice Terraces had to be the most outstanding international swimming hole I have experienced.

Philippines waterfall

The pool below this waterfall in the Philippines was a delight after a hot muggy hike

Take a cruise

A cruise you say? There is no adventure in a cruise. Even though Leah’s Travels hates them does not mean they cannot be a great way to beat the heat. Air conditioned inside and pools outside can be the way to go during this sweltering weather. A Thomson Discount Code can provide some good options for heat relief.

Canoe the Wisconsin River

The Wisconsin River from Sauk City to the confluence of the Mississippi is a 92 mile paradise. The river is completely sand bottomed and golden sandbars dot the river and invites great camping, beer drinking, and swimming. Bald Eagles seemingly fly off of every tree along the lush tree filled banks. It is a paradise for canoeists and the great swimming is a great escape from the heat.

Wisconsin River

A typical Wisconsin River scene

Hike in a rainforest

Rainforests are notoriously humid, but at least they are out of the sun. Walking through a lush canopy of green spotting monkeys and birds will keep your mind off of the fact that you are dripping with perspiration. Be sure to stay hydrated and with luck you will run into a waterfall to play in. My favorite rainforest I have hiked in was Corcovado National Park in Costa Rica.

Corcovado rainforest

Very little light permeates the forest floor in Corcovado National Park in Costa Rica

Be sure to stay cool this summer, stay hydrated, and follow these tips to stay adventurous.

Stay tuned,

On the right sidebar is a donate button. If you would like to donate in order to keep this site going, it would be appreciated. All donations will cover travel expenses and improvements to make the site better. I also may use the funds to buy myself a beer now and then :)

, , , , , ,

29 Responses to Five ways to beat the heat during this oppressive summer

1. Leah Travels August 3, 2012 at 12:35 pm #

I really love being the poster child for cruise haters. Like you wear your fanny pack, I wear it like a badge of honor. I’ll be happy to clue you in on my other hates if you need any additional fodder for your 125th* ranked travel blog.

*According to Nomadic Samuel…you’re #1 in my book.
    Leah Travels recently posted..Top Three Travel Memories

• travelingted August 3, 2012 at 11:41 pm #

Hey thanks Leah,

That is awfully sweet of you. You should run with the “I hate cruise” mantra and expand. Maybe you could start egging them while they are in port or other crazy stuff to gain attention.

2. Erika August 3, 2012 at 2:25 pm #

I’m with Leah as far as cruises are concerned, mostly because I hate crowds. But the rest of the ideas sound fantastic! I could totally go for a waterfall right now.

This weekend I may head for one of Florida’s springs to cool off.
    Erika recently posted..GEIGERRIG hydration pack & filter giveaway

• travelingted August 3, 2012 at 11:43 pm #

I have never been on a cruise and there is a decent chance I never will; however, if I had to go on one, I would have a good time. I like places where you can drink and where hot women in bathing suits hang out. Although the eye candy would not be as grand knowing Leah and Erika would not be on it.

3. Jeremy Branham August 3, 2012 at 3:03 pm #

Remember that I was hating on cruises long before Leah! :)

I am hoping to hike to a waterfall next weekend. Will be a great way to cool off this summer. Hadn’t gone hiking as much as I like but looking for one more good hike this summer before a busy Fall and cooler weather.
    Jeremy Branham recently posted..The Queen Anne Bed and Breakfast – the best hotel in Denver

4. Mike August 3, 2012 at 3:46 pm #

I was hating on cruises before any of you were born. Ha! All I have to do is think of Barton Springs here in Austin and I feel cooler Ted. I still say Nomadic Samuel got it very wrong!!! Safe Travels !!!

• Leah Travels August 3, 2012 at 4:52 pm #

Mike, I like Barton Springs, too, but I actually prefer Hamilton Pool. Either would do on a hot Austin day though.
      Leah Travels recently posted..Highs and Lows in Rio

• travelingted August 3, 2012 at 11:44 pm #

Thanks so much Mike. Very happy to have you as a reader. Nomadic Samuel is coming around. I am now number 125. It is still not in the top 100, but at least I am not on the total outside looking in.

• Mike August 4, 2012 at 12:01 am #

Your most welcome Ted. Keep writing and “Safe Travels” !!!

5. Adaphobic's Travelogue August 4, 2012 at 10:53 am #

If summer just started there, rainy cold days just started here :) Glad to see the mention of the Philippines!

• travelingted August 5, 2012 at 11:20 pm #

Philippines are mentioned quite often over here as I spent three weeks there a few years back. A wonderful country.

6. Charles Higgins August 5, 2012 at 9:43 pm #

Some great hot weather options / tips here..

Cheers..
    Charles Higgins recently posted..Las Vegas 2nd among top ten Labor Day 2012 destinations

7. Nancie August 5, 2012 at 11:14 pm #

Or if you are in the middle of the city you can find one of those water jet parks (like my shot in Budapest). The beach is also one of my top picks. Hiking anywhere is low on the list in this heat!
    Nancie recently posted..Capture the Color: Travel Photo Contest

• travelingted August 5, 2012 at 11:21 pm #

I saw that fountain picture and cooling off there definitely looked appealing.

8. santafetraveler August 6, 2012 at 3:22 am #

Mike and I can duke it out for who’s the oldest cruise-avoider- you’d have to kidnap me.
    Personally, I’ll take the beach,but it has to be where water is cool (not cold) and the breezes are, too.
    santafetraveler recently posted..Visit 91st Santa Fe Indian Market

• travelingted August 6, 2012 at 10:56 am #

I just hope the real hot weather is over summer, but probably not as it is only early August. Usually, August is the hottest month, but it is hard to imagine a month hotter than we just had.

9. Leslie August 7, 2012 at 1:31 am #

A waterfall would hit the spot right now!
    Leslie recently posted..PHOTOS: People watching and tasty treats at Smorgasburg, Brooklyn

10. Born27 August 10, 2012 at 4:39 am #

We love going in a cold spring! This is how we beat the heat of summer!
    Thanks for posting.
    Born27 recently posted..Conference calling on skype

11. crazy sexy fun traveler August 12, 2012 at 11:32 am #

Awww I never made it to the waterfall in Batad :( It looks really cool tho!
    crazy sexy fun traveler recently posted..TANNING HABITS – DOES THE SKIN COLOUR SHOW HOW RICH/POOR YOU ARE?

• travelingted August 14, 2012 at 10:49 am #

CSFT,

That is a good reason to go back then.

12. Kelly Hudson August 14, 2012 at 6:29 pm #

I think hiking to a waterfall is a unique and great idea! Plus you get to enjoy nature’s beauty on the way! Great tips, thanks for sharing them.
    Kelly Hudson recently posted..website here

13. ciki August 18, 2012 at 10:53 am #

anything to do with a body of cold water is GOOD! Good good Ted!! :D haha
    ciki recently posted..Selamat Hari Raya to All our Friends!

14. Aaron August 20, 2012 at 11:51 am #

Great tips! Has been a lot more beach time this summer, can’t believe all the 90 and 100+ degree days there’s been in the Midwest. Oddly enough, have escaped to Florida too a couple of times to get away from it. Usually a tip is to escape to there in the winter months to beat the cold haha.
    Aaron recently posted..In-N-Out Burger: Yay or Nay to Animal Style?